Thursday, November 10, 2011

Northampton MA UCI Cyclocross Race 11/5/11

Woke up rested and ready to race. I was ending 3 weeks of build, so my body was ready to shut down, but I did not let it until the race was over. It was cold when we got there, but once in the sun and doing an easy lap on the course, I was sweating! I was called up on the 6th row (I pulled the 3rd from last highest number...I don't agree with the point system at all!). At the start I sprinted past 30 riders to get into 9th position. I held on strong for 2 1/2 laps. I thought we only had one more to go starting the 3rd lap, but it tured out we had two! They said at the start only 4 laps, but then changed it to 5. My legs had been really sore since the end of the week and they did not feel any better in the race. I was amazed I was holding onto my position for so long. However, on the last lap I pretty much bonked. My left hip flexor/upper quad muscle had been hurting really bad since the 3rd lap. All across my diaphragm for some reason was also aching. I think I was forgetting to breathe, the race was so intense! I strained my legs a lot running up the run ups and trying to churn over my 40 tooth on the climb. I was pretty mentally distraught and physically in pain, so I did not make the move to stay on the wheels when I should have. I had been out in the wind a lot during the race, stuck in between 8th and then the riders behind me...I ended up 13th, which is still my best place finish in a UCI race and a considerable feat in my condition, where I had to line up, and against the talented competition. I was immediately pulled over at the end to do dope testing. I was one of the randome 2 (the winer obviously has to do it) that had to do the testing. It was sooooo annoying! It took up an extra hour of time. I could not obviously go to the bathroom enough right after my race, so I got to get on the trainer, drink more fluid, and eat while I waited for it to pass through me. The second time I was able to go enough and we got on our way! I was really happy to have my parents and dog come watch me race :)

No comments:

Post a Comment