Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Winding Trails 4/22/12; Mud Fest Extravaganza

The race was up and down...the rain of course started coming down about an hour prior to our start. We had to wait around at the start getting drenched and frozen. Race started and I got the whole shot (which I am getting really good at now!) and pushed on forward. The conditions of the course were much different than when I had warmed up on it hours earlier. A very non-technical fast day in dry weather turned out to be a very challenging slow day in wet weather. I pulled away from the rest of the group immediately, maintaining a minute up going into the 4th lap. I had felt alright until this point in the race, but the rain and mud started to take their toll and everything just stopped working, bike, legs, brain. I was unable to shift anymore, staying stuck in the big ring, which made climbing in the mud tough. Not to mention my rear tire was slowly flatting, and by the 4th lap it was under 15psi (by the time I got home it was completely flat). I went through a whole set of break pads front and rear. Due to the mechanicals and body bonking, I lost 2 minutes on the last lap, with only 2 miles to go I got passed. Dissapointed the race unfolded the way it did, especially after maintaining the strong lead for so long. I was shivering when I finished and pretty miserable, covered head to toe in mud. But then, I smiled, and remembered...ahhh yes....this is why I LOVE THIS SPORT ;-)



 
chomping at the bit...


 
still charging on!


Slop! Finally finished. This tree guy made my day!


some nice swag!

No comments:

Post a Comment