Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Massasoit 4/29/12; Ohhh SNAP!

Clicked into gear and got to do a lap on the course. The trails were non-technical and there was very little climbing. I had plenty of time to warm up and my bike was working great. It was perfect weather! My new shoes and helmet were really nice too. The whistle blew and I again got the whole shot, but this girl passed me right at the corner...so, I passed her back within 100 ft and took the lead. I was feeling good charing along keeping pace, two riders chomping at my wheel. It was 100% from the start and no letting up. I started on a small incline, so I shifted, when all of a sudden my chain jammed up and I could not move! 2nd place slammed into the back of my wheel. I got off the bike and discovered that my wheel was out of the drop-outs. Odd. I could not get the wheel back onto the disc. Something was up, but I kept trying, as everyone passed me. I finally got the wheel on, but it did not seem right. I started to pedal and heard this "whirring" sound as I was riding. I passed back a few people, but I had to stop again and adjust the skewer. Nothing changed. After a long decent in the sand and before the long climb I knew this was not going to work. I flipped the bike over to check one last time and BAM! My chain stay and seat stay on the right drive train side both completed snapped in half! I was baffled. I took the wheel off and started the long walk back with my bike on my shoulder. 3 miles later, my feet had 4 huge blisters on them and a bruise on my back shoulder. I was lucky to be okay and tried to keep it together the rest of the afternoon. Watched Ryan race and talked to friends.


Cannondale better warranty this one! I have had the bike for exactly a year. The 2008 Scapel was recalled, with I would have known before investing in this one. https://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08534.html
Bike is off to the headquarters and in the meantime, I am borrowing a friend's Cannondale Rush Femanine 1. Luckily all my components and new race wheel set will work on her frame. 



Oh yum! Who doesn't love popping blisters?

No comments:

Post a Comment