Monday, September 19, 2011

Portsmouth Criterium 9/18/11 LAST ROAD RACE of the SEASON

I started a new job 2 weeks ago and I have been loving it. I get up early and commute 3.5 miles there and back every day. It is all up hill on the way, but it feels good and wakes me up! I have been winding down with my volume and training over the last two weeks. I will be taking this weekend off to recover mentally and physically to avoid burn-out before starting the Cyclocross season. I know that I can have a successful season, but my body needs some time to heal. I will have one more XC mountain bike race in October, and it will be my FIRST as a PRO!
On September18th, I raced in the 77th annual Smuttynose Portsmouth Criterium. It was a NorEast-Met Life sponsor race. I was excited for the race, the weather was perfect. My legs were a bit sore, but I figured I would have time to get a solid warm up in and they would open up more. I felt okay on my spin, but I started to do tempo into LT and my legs were not so happy. The course opened up for inspection so I did a few laps on the course and hopped back on the trainer to do a few VO2's and then it was time to hustle to the bathroom, etc. I was trying to combat any negative thoughts about my legs at the start line. The whistle blew and I got into the race. A few teams were sending off racers and a few attacks were made. I was trying to stay patient in the field, but that did not last too long. I  ended up getting on the front, wanting to do something, but not so sure what. I ended up sprinting for several primes, placing second, but it ended up that they were only one deep. I did win one, but I was a bit annoyed with myself that I did not pay hard enough attention (it is always hard to understand what is being said over the mic when racing), I need to work on that. My patience in the pack is something I need to work on, especially with lack of team-mates. I was very strong and showed other riders I was a threat. I was too willing, however, to do the work and ride strong. When the time really counted to ride strong, I was not able to do so, due to being in the wrong place. I was 4th wheel into the final turn, but then when attacks came from the right and the left and two of the riders in front of me made no move, I was boxed in and I could not do anything in that brief moment. I will know for next year to not be in the middle for that sprint. Last year I was in a great position that allowed me to not get stuck. My legs felt a bit sapped after the race. I cooled down and then helped load hay bails onto the truck for volunteer work. Ryan and I spent a few hours at the volunteer party with good friends and lots of food. There is always next year! I tend to think that not performing my best, is what keeps me hungry for more B-)



1 comment:

  1. The 8th annual Portsmouth Criterium will be Sunday September 9th 2012 this year. Www.portsmouthcrit.org

    ReplyDelete