Friday, September 16, 2011

GMSR 2011

GMSR (Green Mountain Stage Race 9/2-5/11) recap: 
Everyone was lucky to be able to participate in this year's GMSR, due to the fact that hurricane Irene had swept through all of Vermont, causing terrible havoc. Roads, homes, businesses, historic bridges, totally gone in just one day. It was really sad to see, but the state and towns where the races went through, wanted the racers to come just as badly as the racers wanted to come! A lot of changes were made to the courses to make things work. I had actually taken GMSR off of my race schedule a few weeks before the event, due to the fact that my team-mates were injure and I did not have anyone to share housing with.. A week before the races, however, one of my friends was able to fit me in to a condo with her friend and family! My coach and I were not so sure about me going, but in the end, I figured even if I was not peaking for the event, I could still have a good time and get in solid training! Well, hard training was definitely handed to me, and a few good lessons learned, due to me not really knowing the equipment that I borrowed. Read below to find out more:
Day 1-when using tubulars, make sure to pump them up the day of the race, 80 psi does no good in a TT. I also realized when I got home that I had been using a 11x23 rear cassette...and with that type of climb in the TT, I should have had nothing lower than a 11x25! But I was use to my regular tube wheel-set and 11x28 rear cassette that I just did not think anything of it! Day 2-you know something is wrong with either the circuit course or the racers when almost every single field has a crash at the finish line. I raced really well and stayed at the front up the QM climbs, but when it came to the sprint, there was a disastrous crash that left a few women on the pavement. I was right near it and was lucky to not be hurt and ride another day. I just rode across the finish line with the rest of the pack. I spent the entire afternoon-evening with our friend in the hospital while he got stitches and had to get his bike repaired. Not ideal recovery! Day 3-I did not sleep well Saturday night, not ideal for the road race, but I still managed to make it across the finish line upright! The modified road race course (due to the flood) was boring, the field let a solo break happen 6 miles in and never attacked, simply soft pedaling for over 40 miles and everyone only sprinting up Baby App. Gap. to App. Gap. I still had no idea that the rear cassette was an 11x23, so I climbed the 20% grade with that...not that it is a good thing to brag about, but heck! Not sure many people could attempt that climb with that gearing, non the less after 115 miles of racing already (my compact front crank saved me!). The light weight wheels were amazing as far as lightness was concerned, but I forgot to check a lot of things. I will not forget to check these things when I own a pair of my own! Day 4-flash floods in downtown Burlington cancelled the Crit. (the main event I was waiting to shred all weekend and really only cared about!), after I had already changed into my kit and lugged my trainer to a dry spot for warming up. Oh well, it is bike racing! I did not have a desire-able overall finish, but considering I did not really go into the race fully prepared, I still did well by placing in pay-out. I a had fun time with friends and oh, did I  mention that I learned some valuable lessons???? HA! 



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment