Sunday, July 10, 2011

New Britain Criterium 7/10/11

So for the last month, I have been un-able to race, due to a bacterial infection that sent me to the ER overnight and back again, going through a spinal tap, moving to Newton MA, and starting a new job working with crazy children all day! I got back on the bike 2 weeks ago and have been putting on the volume, but having to taper for Cat. 1 XC mountain bike Nationals at te same time! I leave tomorrow (Wed 7/13) to Sun Valley and will be racing this weekend.
My first race since Purgatory was Sunday (7/10) at the New Britain Crit. in CT. I almost did not make it to this event, due to my "spacing out" and being so use to not having to drive a car and fill up at the pump (since moving to Newton I mainly ride my bike and take the train to work!). As I was leaving, Ryan told me I was going to need to get "gas" asap. I got off the highway in Framingham and I pulled up to the pump, completely filling the tank up. 35 miles later, the car just stops putting out and power and I have to pull off onto the side of the highway, right where my 84 exit was off the Mass. Pike. I immediately call Ryan and he asks if I filled up the car and I said "yes" and he said "with diesel, correct?" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! No. I had filled his car with gas. A WHOLE TANK FULL. I thought I was screwed and not going to be able to make it to the race at this point. My safety was more of a concern at this point and getting the car taken care of. I do not have AAA, but Ryan did, however he was not with me and that was of no help. As I was calling my parents to tell them to turn around from driving to New Britain a AAA tow truck goes past and starts backing up to me. I explain to him that I was trying to get to my bike race in New Britain, and he goes on to tell me how basically this is illegal since he is a CT AAA truck and not allowed to pick up in MA, but since he saw the CT plates and me on the side of the road, he wanted to help out. Long story short, I met the nicest AAA truck driver you will ever meet (he was a contractor that drives for them) and he drove me all the way to the race, free of charge and then even took my Dad with him to get the car dropped off at their auto shop repair place (no where near New Britain), and then bring my Dad back to watch the end of my race! I got to New Britain at 4pm, the race was starting in 45 min. I was in such a fluster I did not put on my helmet and the USA official barked at me for a minute, but I explained my situation and they felt a bit more empathetic. Anyway, I got changed and did a few short loops around this set of roads by the race course and it was time to start. I got as relaxed as I could and when the first bell went off for the first prime, I was so focused, and so full of fire that I took it! Then the bell rang again a few laps later and I took that one too! There were other women going for it, but they did not have the final kick. We just pedaled around until the last lap, which was kinda boring, but it is a course that nothing happens unless there is a prime and or it is the finish lap. It was a small group of women, but a powerful group non-the-less. Some tried to break, but I just jumped on them early, letting them know that they were not going to get away as long as I was there! I ended up getting stuck on the outside right side of the final turn, when I wanted to be on the left, and two women took off to the left side and I had to jump on them from behind a BikeReg rider, who was just in the way. By the time I caught the two riders wheels, we were at the finish line, the three of us all overlapping bike wheels. If only I had another couple yards, and or had been able to be in the right position behind them like I had been for the prime wins, I could have easily won the race! I was by no means upset with my performance though and I had a blast! It was nice to see some of the women I know and enjoy the beautiful evening. It was a rush to be back sprinting and racing. I was very impressed with my ability to push on through, despite all that had happened earlier in the day, not to mention the past month of punch after punch after punch! At this point, I was able to just look at it all though and laugh. It is just life and things could always be worse!





No comments:

Post a Comment