Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bike for Bovines XC 7/31/11


Great race today! Tough 26 mile course with 2,500 feet of climbing! I started with my warm up, but realized something was wrong with my shifting, it was skipping on me...it rode fine last weekend, so something must have hit the rear derailleur because the limit screws were out of whack. I had someone look at it before the race, but they only made the shifting smooth for a little while, because by 3/4 of the first loop, it just stopped working and my chain was falling off to the inside of my spokes! I spent a few minutes trying to make it work, but it would not, I got back on, and it dropped off inside again. I was in a steep climbing section, that I had to end up running. I had been in first place for women, Cat 1 and Pro's, but Jimena (Pro rider) caught up to me and I thought at that point the race was over and I should just walk back to the feed zone and get a ride back or follow the road to the finish line. However, my never quite mind-set popped up and told me to just do the best I can and keep going. So, that is what I did, and I ended up catching Jimena before the final descent to the 2 miles of flat rail trail back to the start/finish line. I just sat on her wheel, although I wanted to pass her to make up some time, since I had no idea what was going to happen with my shifting up the first long climb again. However, I was just patient and when we got on the rail trial, I just started to pedal in front, thinking she was right behind me, I have a tendency to not look back...but we got to the feed zone and she was not there, so I just started to turn it on and keep my gearing in one place in the rear, only shifting the front derailleur until I was done with the majority of the climbing, and made sure to be smooth and take my time. Well, that worked, and my chain did not fall off once, so I finished the home stretch with Jimena over 5 minutes behind me. I was stoked. I could only imagine how far I really would have been ahead if I did not encounter the issues I did on the first lap! It was too bad there was not more competition, but I had a blast on the course! My left inner hamstring seized on me though 3/4 of the way into the second lap, and I had to take some time to just coast on my bike, but it was hard to, considering the final climb was right there! So, I climbed as much of it as I could and walked up the rest, to stretch out the legs. I tried to sit back as far as I could on my seat to lengthen the muscle, which did help a bit, but it was very tense still on the descent and my final 2 mile stretch to the finish. After the race I plopped in a cold creek for therapy on my legs and purchased some local veggies and meat from the Stonewall Farm. It was nice to see some friends at the race and catch up. It was also very nice to have the support of my coach, Marci, her husband Bert, and their almost 1 year old daughter, Isabelle when I crossed the line!
No Pictures from this event, due to going up solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment